– The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, said “the appalling attack on Muslims in Finsbury Park is an attack on us all and on the culture and values of our country”. Here’s what we know so far about the incident…
Mohammed Kozbar, chairman of the Finsbury Park mosque, described it as a “cowardly attack which is no different from the attacks in Manchester or London“, referring to the suicide bombing in Manchester in northwest England on May 22, which left 22 people dead.
An attack on a group of worshippers near a mosque by a man in a white van is being treated as terrorism, police said.
The incident follows two recent attacks carried out by radical Islamic extremists in Manchester and London Bridge, killing 30 people. The driver was taken to hospital as a precaution and will later be subject to a mental health assessment.
Another witness, Hussain Ali, 28, said that while being restrained the suspect was protected by the people he is thought to have been targeting. Someone in the crowd yelled to others not to harm the man and another is heard shouting: “Why would you do this?”
Eight others were taken to hospital and two were treated at the scene, Basu said, adding that all of the victims were Muslim.
A leader of the Muslim Council of Britain has called for extra security at mosques after a van struck worshippers leaving prayers at the Finsbury Park mosque.
– Islington’s Seven Sisters Road, where the attack took place, is home to at least four mosques, and would have likely been filled with worshipers leaving late-night taraweeh prayers.
“Over the past weeks and months, Muslims have endured many incidents of Islamophobia, and this is the most violent manifestation to date”, Khan said. “It was an attack that once again targeted the ordinary and the innocent. this time British Muslims”, she said. “We call on the government to do more to tackle this hateful evil ideology which has spread over these past years and resulted in an increase of islamophobic attacks and division of our society, as well as spreading of hate”.
The 48-year-old was later arrested on suspicion and attempted murder.
Footage has emerged of the moment the suspect in the Finsbury Park mosque attack was arrested by police.
Kacimi said when he did so, the 48-year-old driver said to him: “I’ve done my bit”.
Toufik Kacimi, chief executive of the Muslim Welfare House, said the man who was arrested had to be rescued by the imam at the centre to stop him being attacked.
Officers shout, “Move back, move back”, as they try to push people away and get the scene under control.
“While this appears to be an attack on a particular community, like the awful attacks in Manchester, Westminster and London Bridge it is also an assault on all our shared values of tolerance, freedom and respect”, he said in a statement.
Early this month, in what police called a terror attack, three Muslim extremists in a van veered into pedestrians on London Bridge, before attacking people with knives in the nearby Borough Market.
A Muslim council said in a statement that their prayers are with the victims.
A man has died and 10 people have been injured after a man drove a van into worshippers near a north London mosque.
Many at the scene expressed anger that the incident was not reported as a suspected terror attack sooner.
One man was killed and eight people were seriously injured.
The UK has been on high alert after a series of attacks. He would’ve died because so many people were punching him but the imam came out and said, ‘No more punching, let’s keep him down until the police come’.
Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, who represents the area, uses the mosque as a place to meet with residents.