The massive landslide buried the entire village of Xinmo in a mountainous region of Sichuan province. Crews searching through the ru.
It’s a story of survival after the landslide wiped out an entire village.
Rescuers have retrieved fifteen bodies after a huge landslide engulfed a village in China’s Sichuan Province.
(Jiang Hongjing/Xinhua via AP).
Rescuers pulled 15 bodies from an avalanche of rocks that buried a mountain village in southwest China on Saturday as an increasingly bleak search for some 100 people carried into the night.
Mao County, or Maoxian, is home to about 110,000 people, according to the government’s website.
Rescuers continued to search through mounts of rock and rubble Sunday.
“The houses were shaking, as if there were an natural disaster”. As we went to the crossroads, we saw an ambulance. With a thundering sound, the smoke suddenly lifted.
“We won’t give up as long as there is a slim chance”, said one rescuer.
“As we ran for safety, we looked this way and saw the village flattened”, Tang said.
Deng Congbi, 62, from a village nearby said she feared that nobody would be rescued.
“Many of the villagers have been living here for generations and have seen no major geological disasters”, Xu said. Some of it fell from as high as a mile (1.6km).
The landslide blocked a two-kilometre (1.24 miles) stretch of a nearby river, according to Xinhua.
Chinese state news agency Xinhua reports that at least three people had been rescued and taken to a hospital with injuries it said were not life-threatening.
The local government told CNN 93 people were still unaccounted for and 15 people thought to have died had subsequently been found safe.
All 142 tourists visiting the site are alive, says Xu Zhiwen, executive deputy governor of the Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture of Aba, where the landslide struck.
Three members of one family were located five hours after the landslide. Qiao Dashuai, 26, told state broadcaster China Central Television that he and his wife awoke to cries from their 1-month-old son at around 5:30 a.m. Qiao said his parents and other relatives had not been found.
Mr Wu Youheng, who lives in a neighbouring village and rushed to help, said that the area was prone to landslides but the scale of last Saturday’s disaster was unprecedented. In 2008, almost 70,000 people died when an 8.0 magnitude tremor hit Sichuan’s Wenchuan County.
“There are several tonnes of rock”, he told state TV.
More than 70 were killed by a landslide in the southern commercial hub of Shenzhen in December 2015, caused by the improper storage of waste.
In 2008, 87,000 people were killed when an quake struck Wenchuan county in Sichuan province.