Britain’s Prince Philip released from hospital after treated for infection

Britain’s Prince Philip released from hospital after treated for infection

Prince Philip has been admitted to a hospital for treatment of an infection and was not able to attend the queen’s speech, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.

“I can confirm that the Duke of Edinburgh left hospital this morning”, a Palace spokesman told CNN’s Max Foster.

Buckingham Palace say there are no “current plans” for the 96-year-old prince to pull out of any other future engagements.

It was business as usual for Queen Elizabeth, as she attened the second day of Royal Ascot following the State Opening of Parliament. Charles also accompanied the monarch to day two of Ascot, the royal arriving in a carriage with the Prince’s wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

Just yesterday, he attended Royal Ascot, accompanying the Queen for a full day of activity in hot temperatures. He headed to Windsor castle to continue recuperating from an illness arising from a pre-existing condition. He has been out of bed on Wednesday, and is said to be in good spirits.

Last month, Phillip announced that he would be stepping down from public engagements, with Buckingham Palace stating the decision was fully supported by the queen.

It is not known how long Philip will be kept in hospital but it could be a few days to allow any treatment to take effect. Philip was replaced by son, Prince Charles, who will take over his father’s duties on Wednesday. The development comes almost seven weeks after the palace announced that Prince Philip will retire from royal duties from September.

The Duke is the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.

Born a prince of Greece and Denmark, Philip served with distinction in the British navy during World War II.