Fifty-eight people who were in London’s Grenfell Tower are still missing and are presumed to be dead, United Kingdom police announced on Saturday, raising the death toll in an inferno earlier this week that turned the public housing block into a charred ruin.
London police say 58 people who were in Grenfell Tower are still missing and assumed to be dead.
New footage from inside Grenfell Tower shows the devastation caused by the blaze, as police expect the death toll to continue to rise. It includes 30 deaths that already have been confirmed, and reports of people who are missing and presumed to have been killed. Authorities have not yet issued a figure and have said they genuinely don’t know how many people might have died.
Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy asserted that their investigation will “establish the facts and provide answers“, as they “look into what criminal offences may have been committed“.
He said police will release images and video from inside the tower tomorrow, pending the approval of Grenfell families.
Grenfell Tower in west London after a fire engulfed the 24-storey building on Wednesday morning, Saturday, June 17, 2017.
More than 200 firefighters and 40 fire trucks were involved in operations to douse the blaze, which last for several hours.
Cundy said 16 bodies had so far been recovered from the tower and taken to a mortuary.
Between 50 and 60 people stormed Kensington and Chelsea Town Hall as members of the public demanded the council, which owned the tower blocks, to give reassurances to the victims.
British Prime Minister Theresa May is facing mounting pressure to resign due to her handling of the situation and tensions have been heightened by her failure to meet with victims in the immediate aftermathof the tragedy.
The Home Office said late Saturday night it will make arrangements for the family of Mohammad Alhajali to “travel to the U.K.in these terribly sad circumstances”.
Mrs May met a group of victims, residents, volunteers and community leaders at a church close to the scene of the blaze, after earlier visiting survivors in hospital.
Criticism of May intensified Friday after she sidestepped questions in a televised interview about whether she had underestimated the public’s anger and frustration.
He said displaced residents are “angry not simply at the poor response in the days afterwards from the council and the government, but the years of neglect from the council and successive governments”.
She said earlier that the national mood is somber but that Britain is resolute in the face of adversity.
“We must also prepare people for the awful reality that some people may not be identified due to the intensity of the fire”.
Police also identified the first known victim of the fire, 23-year-old Mohammed Al-Habjali, who lived in Grenfell Tower.
In addition, London Mayor Sadiq Khan called for an interim report on the fire to be published this summer.
She has promised those left homeless by the blaze would be rehoused locally within weeks, and the 5 million pound fund would pay for emergency supplies, food, clothes and other costs.