Syria denies US allegations of coming chemical attack

Syria denies US allegations of coming chemical attack

Earlier, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer issued a statement claiming the USA “has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians”.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Tuesday that Washington would continue to provide weapons after the Raqqa battle is over.

Spokesperson Captain Jeff Davis said the United States had seen activity that “indicated active preparations for chemical weapons use” at the Shayrat airfield in western Syria.

U.S. Defense Department spokesperson Maj.

United Nations special envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura, is seen.

USA ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley went further in a tweet, saying that Syria’s allies, Russian Federation and Iran, would also be blamed for such an attack.

Assad, backed by Russian Federation, has strongly denied the allegation that his forces used chemical weapons against the town in April, describing it as a “100 percent fabrication”. And Syrian allies Russian Federation and Iran are accusing the United States of escalating tensions. Earlier this month, the US shot down a Syrian fighter jet for the first time.

Washington has repeatedly struck Iranian-backed militia and even shot down a drone threatening USA -led coalition forces since the April military strike. It was reportedly his first visit to the base, a hub of the Russian war effort to support the Assad regime. You have to assume there are either Iranian officered or Lebanese Hezbollah elements with them. But the United States priority has and continues to be to defeat ISIS.

These incidents have raised concerns that the U.S.is heading toward some kind of confrontation with the Assad regime in southern and eastern Syria.

“That is why we do not think it is possible to lay the blame on the Syrian armed forces”, Peskov said. There is one major difference: Whereas Obama backed down from a threat to use force after a 2013 attack, opting instead for a diplomatic plan to remove Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal, Trump has proven his willingness to authorize military force.

The U.S. missile strike on the Shayrat airfield in Syria in April followed the deaths of 87 people in what Washington said was a poison gas attack in rebel-held territory, accusations that put it directly at odds with Moscow. Moscow and Damascus vehemently denied banned weapons had been used by the government side, with Putin describing the incident as a rebel “provocation”.

It was rare for the USA government to issue such a public and specific warning over the use of banned weapons, experts said.

In the past, Washington has refrained from targeting the Syrian government, instead focusing on Islamic State positions in Syria. It was the second nerve gas attack the USA has attributed to the Syrian government since 2013.

“We just refuse to get drawn into a fight there in the Syria civil war”, he said.

The goal of the statement was to “do what we can to protect life in all forms and to take steps to move the ball forward in defeating [the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria], defeating all efforts of terrorism”, she said.

That could mean that the valley, with so many competing factions fighting in it, could be divided into even smaller zones where U.S., Syria and Russian forces would restrict their operations, he said.